Sunday, June 18, 2006

So at 11 o'clock last night I sneak out, right. Thank God Mum had gone to bed by then, or I would've had to answer all sorts of stupid questions. Well I stood at her front door, heart practically beating on my tongue, and I knocked.

No answer.

I knocked again and bent close to the door to listen. "Who is is?" asked a voice practically right next to my ear! I shot six feet in the air. It was Julie. "Me!" I hissed back. "Were you expecting anyone else?" The door opened a fraction of an inch and an eyeball appeared. It looked round till it found me then stared. "Now your being bloody stupid," I said, trying to keep the tone light, even though I didn't feel like it. "Are you going to let me in or what?"

The door opened a bit wider, a hand reached out and grabbed my t-shirt and I was dragged inside. It was dark, and the smell almost made me throw up, but luckily I was expecting it and shoved a handkie covered in aftershave up to my nose. Julie looked at me like I was some sort of nutter. "You don't smell it?" I asked her. Not that I wanted to be rude or anything, but come on! She sniffed a bit then shook her head. "So what am I doing here? Why all the cloak and dagger?"

"Keep your voice down," she said, looking back over her shoulder nervously.
"Why? I thought your parents and Sam went out." I played innocent. I didn't want her to know that I knew about the thing in the back room. She just looked at me then indicated that I should follow her upstairs. Now I know what you are thinking, man - it's every teenaged boys dream to be invited up to a girls bedroom when her parents are out, but we're talking wierdoes here remember. Destroying the planet, not sweating in the sun, disappearing weirdoes.

So I followed her up, thinking this is not right, man, and taking a good look around at the same time. Still no photos of any of them. Every door shut tight as I passed it. Then she opens one that must share the wall with mine, and let me in. She told me to sit on the bed and then began pacing up and down in the middle of the room.

"What is it?" I asked. And she starts ...

"I don't come from round here."
"I know that! I was here when you moved in."
"No, you have to let me say this all in one go, or I might not get it all out."
"OK"

And right at that very minute the doorbell went. Julie went as white as a sheet and her legs practically gave way beneath her.
"It's OK," I said. "I'll go and see who it is, get rid of them if you like."
She smiled weakly at me and I went down stairs. A bit nervous of being on my own in that house I can tell you.
Well it was only my bloody Mother! She grabbed my ear, dragged me out of the house and harrangued me all the way home. I've been paying for it all day - washing up, gardening, mending the washing machine, she's even had me doing the ironing. Mad cow! So I'll have to try and catch up with Julie later this week at school. I sent her a text: Sorry. M dragged me off. CU l8er.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home